This is a superb, warm and satisfying dish. The hearty sauce is rich with the full-bodied flavours of red wine, caramelised onion and garlic. Gently simmer with beef and serve with mashed potatoes for the perfect comfort food.
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and sear beef over a high heat to brown. Transfer to a casserole dish. Add onion to pan and cook until starting to soften. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Pour over Wattie’s European Creations Beef Bourguignon Simmer Sauce. Stir while bringing to the boil. Pour over the beef. Cover. Place in the oven. Cook for 2 – 2 1/2 hours, until meat is tender.
2. Alternatively cook on the stove-top for 2 – 2 1/2 hours, or in a slow cooker on low heat for 5-6 hours.
3. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and your favourite vegetables on the side.
* For a delicious pie filling: cool casserole completely. Spoon into a pie dish. Top with flaky puff pastry. Brush pastry top with a little beaten egg. Bake at 210°C for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180°C and cook a further 25-30 minutes until pastry is cooked and filling hot.
* Heat sauce and serve as a delicious gravy to accompany roast beef or lamb or grilled steak.
Reviews & Ratings
Have your say...
The materials published on this website are of a general nature and have been provided for informational purposes only. Always consult your medical practitioner or a qualified health provider for any further advice in relation to the topics discussed.