Your baby is gaining weight steadily and you'll notice your tummy beginning to pop out! You'll need to eat a little extra food over the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, but choose healthy foods so you don't gain too much weight.
If you started your pregnancy at a healthy weight (and you're staying on track with your weight gain) you'll need around 340 extra calories every day in your 2nd trimester, and 450 extra calories every day in your 3rd trimester. You need the extra energy and nutrients to keep up with the demands of your growing baby, the increase in tissue for your placenta and uterus, as well as laying down fat stores for breastfeeding later on.
Here are some examples of the extra food you need to eat each day, just choose one per day (in addition to your normal diet):
- a handful of raw nuts e.g. almonds, a slice of edam cheese on a piece of toast, an orange or an apple
- a banana, a pottle of fruit yoghurt, and a couple of mandarins
- a homemade egg and salad sandwich and a small packet of raisins
- a cup of soup and 2 slices of wholegrain toast
- a small date scone and a low-fat hot chocolate drink
- 3 wheat biscuits, 200mL low fat milk, and a small sliced banana
- a large handful of nuts, a medium banana and 2 slices cheese on a few crackers
- a homemade egg and salad sandwich and a fruit yoghurt
- a cheese and tomato toasted sandwich, an apple and a fruit yoghurt
- a large bowl of natural muesli with chopped fruit and nuts, topped with low fat milk
- a cup of soup with 2 slices of toast and cottage cheese, and a banana
- a mixed berries, milk and yoghurt smoothie, and 2 slices of fruit toast with a little margarine
As you can see, you don't need to 'eat for two' but a little extra healthy food each day will make sure you keep up the energy and nutrients needed for your growing baby!