Bookmark has been addedView my bookmarks
Meatballs in a Spicy Black Bean Sauce
Meatballs with a difference, make your favourite meatballs and serve with our spicy black bean & tomato sauce. Black beans will liven up your usual meatball dish, surprise and delight everyone with this Mexican inspired meal.
- 400g lean beef mince
- ½ small onion, very finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs (approx 1 slice bread, crusts removed)
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander or parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium red capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ -½ tsp chilli flakes
- 400g can Wattie's Black Beans in springwater, drained
- 400g can Wattie’s Mexican Style Tomatoes
1. Put mince, onion, breadcrumbs and coriander into a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in beaten egg to bind the mixture together. Roll into 16 small balls (having wet hands is easier). Place meatballs on a tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a dash of oil in a lidded frying pan. Brown meatballs over a high heat. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Reduce the pan heat. Add onion, garlic, red capsicum and celery. Cook over a low heat until vegetables soften. Add chilli flakes and stir in tomato paste.
4. Add Wattie’s Black Beans. Pour over Wattie’s Mexican Style Tomatoes. Bring sauce to the boil. Add browned meatballs. Reduce heat. Cover. Simmer for 30 minutes until meatballs are cooked. Serve over rice and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.