Bookmark has been addedView my bookmarks
Red Lentil, Carrot and Kumara Mash
Veges and lentils are packed with nutrients, and this is a tasty way to get loads of that goodness into your baby. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- makes 4 servings
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/4 small onion
- 1/4 tsp mild curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp red lentils
- 3/4 cup chicken, vegetable stock, or water - choose what your baby likes best
- 1 medium carrot
- 150 g gold or orange-fleshed kumara
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
Method1. Melt half the butter in a medium-sized pot. Add the finely chopped onion, curry powder and cumin and cook gently over low heat until the onion is sizzling.
2. Add the lentils and the liquid of your choice. Bring it to the boil and add the carrot, and the kumara cubes.
3. Cover it and simmer for a good 15-20 minutes. When the vegetables and lentils are tender you can turn off the heat and mash the vegetables into the liquid, Keep going until there are no chunky pieces left.
4. Stir in the remaining butter, and the cheese if your little one likes a little extra flavour
This freezes well. You can separate the leftovers into single serving containers, pop them in the freezer and defrost them one by one for a quick, tasty meal.